Saturday, May 1, 2021

Lumberjill in 28mm




Last year you may remember that I had a bunch of Bad Squiddo Games Women of WW2 that I used to transport myself about Challenge Island.  Well I'll be racking up the frequent flyer miles this year using the same range as I got into Annie's Kickstarter.  The figures arrived in the Spring and they were saved for the Challenge.  They are all wonderful.



First up is a Lumberjill with an axe, and I love this figure.  This is a girl that would be a lot of fun to hang to with.  But a fella better not do her wrong.  The Women's Lumber Corps or Lumberjills was part of the Land Army, see the link here for the history.  I had a lot of fun researching this figure and there is some great social history available on the Corps.




This is an Alan Marsh sculpt and he has absolutely nailed it.  I was a little unsure of the shorteralls, appearing at first more in line with a Vargas or Elvgren pinup than for chopping wood.  However, photos confirm this was what they wore in the field, at least some of the time.

Axes, shorts, big grins, seriously bad hair days.

In just about any picture that I can find of the Lumberjills, they are smiling.  It must have been back breaking work, but likely a heck of an improvement over factory work.  One one thing Jerry wasn’t bombing you and for another you got to be outside in the fresh air.






So here’s my first submission for the Trio of Sorceress, I hope that she meets with approval.  If so that should be 25 points and a trip to the Hall of Traps please.  I also need to ask if I can use another female figure on the same level without the extra 20 points, just like the balloon rides last year?

2 comments:

  1. A worthy entry indeed! The combination of sculpting and painting has really captured the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross. It’s a really nice sculpt with a lot of character.

      Delete