Monday, September 12, 2022

Late Romans

Some photographs of my recent Late Roman units which I completed earlier this summer.  The unit names and shield designs are taken from the Notitia Dignitatum (ND) of c395CE. 

First up is a heavy cavalry unit Equites Honoriani seniores which the ND assigns to the field army under the Comes Britanniae although it is also listed attached to the Magister Equitum's Gallic command as well.  The Honoriani title is a reference to the Emperor who had recently succeeded his father Theodosius the great.  I shouldn't really use the title, since I am really looking at gaming the campaign's of Theodosius' father after the Great Barbarian conspiracy of 367-9.  But never look a gift title in the eye!  The shields are most likely grey wolves on a red background and are shown below as they appear in the ND.  The nice thing about these medieval manuscripts is they set the sheild design artistry bart low enough that I can achieve similar results.


Figures are all Gripping Beast metals from a variety of packs depending on what MeepleMart had in stock on my visit to TO.



Gotta love a Draco!

Next up is an infantry unit from the field army of the Comes Britanniae.  The Secundani iuniores or Legio Secundae Britannicae is believed to be descended from the old school Legio II Augusta from the Early Imperial days.  In its earlier guise this unit appears in many histories and novels covering the Claudian, Flavian and Trajanic periods.  The shield is a stylized wagon wheel in red on yellow, and easy enough to paint up



Mostly Gripping Beast plastics with an odd metal figure from as a command presence.  I added some archers to the back rank for extra firepower. 

These guys have a hornist instead of a standard.  Should really do a Capricorn vexillum to do Legio II Augusta justice.

Let up is a light infantry auxiliary archer unit.  I'm representing these as part of a Cohors Lingonum, two of which were listed as limitanei under the Dux Britanniarum.  As these are limitanei units and not part of the field army under Comes, we don't have shield designs for these units.  I've free handed a Chi-Rho pattern in white on blue.  The blue tunics with white trim come from costumes worn by modern re-enactors and I now think that white with red or blue trim was more typical.   But they look nice.

All GB plastics, including an officer who I've attempted to show as following the arc of the arrows.




8 comments:

  1. They look good to me. Makes me just a titch nostalgic for my old Hinchliffe Late Roman army of Britain.
    ps Are you sure the ND intended them to be wolves? The drawing looks a lot like sock puppets fighting.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I remember that army. I think you nailed it on the sick puppets!

      Delete
  2. Great looking late Romans! I've got a dux Bellorum late Roman army liked up for the painting challenge, well I'll be painting it from Christmas on no matter what! I like the sock puppets and might have to copy them!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, looking forward to seeing your take on Late Romans. I never keep the competing Dux rules separate- are you using the Too Fat Ladies or the Osprey rules. Having been seen I fear that the sock puppets may never be unseen!

      Delete
  3. They look fantastic, Peter! You did a great job with the artwork on the shields. Simple isn’t always easier!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha. I find often the key is to know when to stop trying to add new details.

      Delete
  4. Nicely done, Peter! I love those sock puppet shields! :)

    ReplyDelete