Thursday, August 23, 2018

Pooltime Ponderings on Recent Italian Wars Game

It being summer I get my my regular exercise swimming laps in my local outdoor public pool.  I show up when it opens at 8am with a bunch of older and grumpier old farts and then head off to what ever office I'm haunting for the rest of the day.  This morning while getting my cardio in under clear blue Prairie skies I did some pondering about the recent game that I GM'd.  There were two problems encountered - slow deployment times and too much disruption - under the Pike and Shotte/Black Powder/Hail Caesar system.  Here's what my oxygen starved brain came up with.

Slow Deployment From Column of March
The issue here is that for the scenario I wanted to have the attacked deal with the issue of entering on in column of match and deploying on the go.  But with basic P&S movement rates this becomes a slow process, especially when the columns have to deploy. 

In this particular scenario had I let the attackers come on deployed they likely would have rolled over the defenders.  I also have issues with too perfect deployments when historically sub commands showed up early, late or in the wrong place on occasion. So incorporating some ideas filched from Sam Mustafa's Blucher rules, here's how I would approach this scenario next time under P&S/BP/HC.

I'll use this map as a reference.

  1. The attacker puts his units into divisions and gives an order of march for  the units within divisions and for the divisions themselves.
  2.  The defender plots his deployment up to line X on the map, keeping units in cover or dead ground (including everything behind line Z)  off board.
  3. The attacker then gives orders to each of his divisions subject to the restrictions of his deployment move below.  So given Curt's order of march we might have something like.  "The cavalry division advances and deploys on the front slope of the hill facing X on the map.  The main body deploys and advances to a position just north of the woods in the pass.  The rear division advances onto the northern hill and then deploys."
  4. The attacker then moves his divisions on one by one according to his order of march.  They get a special deployment move equal to X plus the number of moves indicated by a command roll.  So for this action I might make X=2 and then each division would have between 2-5 moves to make based on their command roll.  To avoid getting too cheesy I'd restrict these so that they couldn't close to withing musket range (16") of the enemy, so that the defender has a bit of a chance to react as they come on.
  5. Each deployment move would be a regular infantry move (8" for our P&S games).  Each column would enter in column of march and need to deploy, this taking one move to deploy a whole division.  Cavalry would be moving at a walk, but an all cavalry division could make a free deployment.
  6. The orders should note when deployment takes place.  Given the sample orders above a bad roll (i.e. 2 moves) would see the centre division deploy then move 8" on table.  On the same result the rear division would move two moves (16") without deploying.
  7. Blunders on a deployment could see a division be delayed, too far left or right or too far ahead depending on the result.
  8. The defender gets to go next and for each division can elect to either have one move without a command roll, or take their chances on a command roll.  This allows them to reposition as the enemy advances and possibly get some shooting in.
The same thing could be used with reinforcements arriving from off table, where the entry point is some distance away from the enemy.-

Too Many Disorders
Under the P&S/BP/HC any natural 6s on shooting cause a disorder, preventing the target unit from doing anything in their next move.  This seems to cause the attacker's a undue hardship in the recent game - Stacey rolled many 6s leaving the attackers effectively pinned in a fire zone at times.  I am thinking of letting the target unit taking an immediate save roll against disorder once all the shooting on the unit is completed.  This lets better troops more likely to shrug off disorder while inferior troops will be more likely to be disordered.  I think that there may be two exceptions when no save roll is permitted.  First, any units charging into contact are auto-disorder by fire.  Second, any unit taking two or more disorder results in shooting are also auto disordered.

Any that's what my brain came up to this morning, we'll see what a night's sleep does with these ideas.


6 comments:

  1. Interesting,but wasn't Stacey rolling really lucky die,are you in danger of taking an aberant result and building around that? It does have a fair slice of luck in the system but I would worry you'd be going too far the other way,I can see more what you mean about the deployment,anyway, I look forward to you doing it again!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain
      There is a possibility that it's an overreaction. We may end up testing the shelf life of this one. I'm not convinced Curt's looking forward to me doing another scenario any time soon!
      Cheers, Peter

      Delete
  2. I have played black powder a few times , and dislike the roll a 6 get disordered .. even an average amount of rolls produces the result , I am pondering it needs to be a number of 6s in the turn equivalent to the quality of the troops .. so militia yes 1 6 might do it , but better quality need more 2 , 3 , 4 in the same turn to get them disordered

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that disorder can happen due to shooting - units should get knocked about by fire and take a bit of time to get their kit in order. The results does seem over frequent. I agree that linking it to quality makes sense.
      Cheers Peter

      Delete
  3. I liked Black Powder when it first came out but have gone really cold on the rules to date. I find the rules weave from inaction to super action too much and the game really is just a die rolling contest. I do like some of the changes you’re thinking about but suggest you consider other rules.

    I do need to say the image of you contemplating the deep inner meaning of war gaming rules while cavorting around in your speedo is, at the least, a disquieting aparation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miles
      I think we're still at the tweaking stage rather than binning them - there's a lot to like about the simplicity of the BP stable. But I always enjoy reading other rules sets for ideas.

      Um I a little disquieted at appear in your mental images, but need to point out that I sport board shorts as I feel that the world is a better place without me in a Speedo. Also think less cavorting and more directed thrashing about.
      Cheers, Peter

      Delete