Tuesday, August 21, 2012

20 Questions - I Hear It's All The Rage in the UK

A couple of the rejects (see Don't Throw a 1)  started this trail earlier this week, and now I'll have a go/



1.       Favourite Wargaming period and why?

I have dabbled in many, so could pick from many.  However, the one I come back to most often is WW1 and WW2 Naval.

2.       Next period, money no object?
28mm Peninsular War (time constraints  would also have to be overcome!)

3.       Favourite 5 films?
In no particular order

  • North By Northwest
  • Vertigo
  • Clockwork Orange
  • High Fidelity
  • Life of Brian


4.       Favourite 5 TV series?
Again, in no particular order

  • Monty Python
  • I Claudius
  • Monsterpeice Theatre (OK actually Masterpiece Theatre but the Sesame Street Parody is fantastic too)
  • The Amazing Race
  • Lewis/Morse mysteries

5.       Favourite book and author?
Can't pick one, so will pick 5

  • Lord of the Rings
  • Lewis Carrols's Alice books
  • Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next Series
  • Pride and Prejudice

6.       Greatest General? Can’t count yourself!!

Nelson (ok he's a general of the sea!).  Also the most interesting.  This bio of his early years is very interesting, as it shows where the Royal Navy was before Nelson (i ends with Cape St Vincent)


7.       Favourite Wargames rules?

With MacDuff to the Frontier or variants and precursors thereof.  They've given me more enjoyable games over the years than any others

8.       Favourite Sport and team?

I don't follow sport that much, but for professional sports it's baseball and the Boston Red Sox.  Otherwise, winter Olympic sports and team Canada.

9.       If you had a only use once time machine, when and where would you go?

Late 1914 so I could give Beatty a boot in the rear and teach him how to signal properly!  Or to have dinner with Buonoparte on the inauguaral serving of Chicken Marengo!

10.   Last meal on Death Row?

As a celiac, it would be tempting to order something with a ton of gluten in it 'cause no one would care how grumpy it made me!  However, I'd rather go out feeling less than completely wretched so I'll go with
Grilled Bison rib eye medium rare
Baby new potatoes
Grilled vegetables
Portobello mushrooms
A really god Spanish red wine

11.    Fantasy relationship and why?

On the grounds that this is strictly fantasy, Emma Peel.  In real life, I couldn't do any better.




12.   If your life were a movie, who would play you?

Hugh Grant or John Cusack - I'm told I share the charming ineptitude of the characters that they typically play.

13.   Favourite Comic  Superhero?

I don't do comic books per say, but closest would be.


14.   Favourite Military quote?

The exchange between Czar Alexander and Kutuzov on the morning of Austerlitz
'Mikhail Ilarionovich! Why haven't you begun your advance?' 
'Your Highness, I am waiting for all the columns of the army to get into position.' 
'But we are not on the Empress's Meadows , where we do not begin a parade until all the regiments are formed up!' 
'Your Highness, if I have not begun it is because we are not on parade, and not on the Empress's Meadow. However, if such be Your Highness's order. . . .' 

15.   Historical destination to visit?

Spain

16.   Biggest Wargaming regret?

Going into 15mms.

17.   Favourite Fantasy job?

Independently wealthy.

18.   Favourite Song Top 5?
Can't pick 5 songs.  Favourite music performers over my lifetime
Beatles
REM
The Clash
Arcade Fire
David Bowie

19.   Favourite Wargaming Moment?

A game with Ross Mac, using SYW his French vs. Prussians.  We played the CSG Broken Ground scenario with Ross defending and me arriving on table in column.  He took a cavalry heavy army and launched a counterattack before I deployed my column.  My Feldjagers were wiped out, my Frie Korps scattered but the Death's Head Hussars died gloriously to give the infantry time to deploy into squares so that they could hold out until the heavy cavalry was brought up from the rear of the column.
 
20.   The miserable Git question, what upsets you?

  • Intolerance
  • Boring rock acts with overwrought guitar and drum solos and more time spent on stage shows than on song craft
  • Lots of other things could piss me off, but I try not to dwell on them so I'll stick to the ones that really matter! 

4 comments:

  1. There were a lot of good games over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great answers and now you've mentioned Monty Python I'd struggle to dislodge that from my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there's too many shows/movies/books/songs to limit oneself to 5.

      Cheers

      PD

      Delete