Sunday, October 8, 2023

Santiago Light an After Action Report

 My visit to USS Olympia rekindled my interest in the Spanish American War, so I now have fleets ordered from Tumbling Dive in 1:2400.  However, this week we had a test game using Broadside and Salvo (B&S) from Long Face Games and my 25 year old 1:1200 scratch builds.  Long story short, it was great fun!  The rules played fast, worked well, gave reasonably historical results and were easy to pick up.

It was aa scaled down version of Santiago.  Two Spanish armoured cruisers and a destroyer group were trying to break out past a dispersed US squadron of two battleships and an armoured cruiser.

Sylvain contemplates his moves as he inspects the US fleet blocking his squadron.

US Admiral Curt

Spanish breakout in the background.  USS Indiana moving to counter.  The green mat to the right side is land.
 
Cristobal Colon followed by Vizcaya


TBDs lead the Spanish line while Indiana steams into close range, New York gets closer and Iowa chugs along in the background.

An attempted torpedo run driven off by quick firers!.

A second attempt foiled!




The Colon begins to suffer from the Indiana's big guns.

Vizcaya tries to run but New York moves to counter while the Colon is crippled.


8 comments:

  1. Great looking game and marvelous ship models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mark. For the ships I deliberately went for the dorky homecrafted look while capturing what I thought were the key features.

      Delete
  2. Excellent game Peter. I really like your scratch built ships 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am pleased with them but not sure that my eyes are up to building more.

      Delete
  3. Good looking game, I like your scratchbuilds!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. Thanks the ships look not too bad at all.

      Delete
  4. It was a fun game, Peter. I feel a bit guilty as I had a very easy command, but not so guilty that I didn't love shooting holes in Sylvain's ships. :) Love your scratchbuilds (and the story behind them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad that you enjoyed it Curt. I thought it was a good test of period and rules. Sylvain had fewer balls to keep in the air, and nearly got off table to meet his victory conditions.

      Delete