Wednesday, July 14, 2021

AHPC: Williamite War in Ireland for St Paddy's Day (40 points)

Still catching up - only 4 monthslate!

 

It's St Patrick's Day, I have an Irish wife and I'm woking on a project based in Ireland.



This is the Earl of Antrim's Regiment in 10mm for the William War in Ireland 1688-91.  Figures are by Pendraken.  Antrim  formed the unit in Ulster for King James' Army largely from Catholics. However, there were supposedly a lot of Scots in the mix and the Williamites referred to it a Redshanks in reference to kilts.  Later in the war Antrim's got kitted out with French equipments and that's how I've represented them here. At some point maybe I'll get an earlier version done with some highland dress added in,


This regiment has a unique place in Ulster's history, basically triggering the whole war!  In December 1688 James' lieutenant in Ireland order them to take over garrison duty in Derry to replace a regiment that was possibly disloyal.  A group of Apprentice Boys locked the gates in their face setting up the Siege of Derry.  You google to go down your own rabbit hole on that one, but I can certainly remember the Aprrentice Boys taking part in Orange Order marches during the troubles.



I've based the unit for BLB, in three stands including a pike continent in the centre stand.  The late 17th century was a period of transition and under BLB units can range from All Pike to All Musket, with most having a mix.  I've interned tis regiment to count as "Regulation" meaning that with mostly matchlock muskets and a small pike company to fend off cavalry.  


Flags were home prints.  The Colonel's Colour (white with the cross of St George) came from Warflag.  The King's colour I cut and pasted together using partial images in League of Augsburg Guides to the War.  In 10mm you can get away with a fair bit.

I've gone with my colour coded unit tables, Jacobite Green in this case.


To get the Orange side of things on the score sheet I also have a Dutch light artillery piece.

Points wise there are 33 men in Antrim's Regiment and 3 gunners at 1 point a piece plus 2 points for the gun making 35 points total.

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to play some Derry music.  The Undertones were a bunch of Catholic lads from Bogside in Ulster in the 1970s. With future prospects being limited to joining the IRA or emigrating they did the natural teenage thing and formed a rock and roll band.  They cut a demo and mailed it to the legendary DJ John Peel in London, who called it the best thing he'd ever heard and away they went...


I do love a themed submission, and dropping an Irish Williamite War Regiment of St Pat's day is a real treat Peter! Take a few bonus points to celebrate :-)

Cap'n Wednesday

3 comments:

  1. Excellent looking regiment. I don’t think I cared much for the Undertones, though…

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather liked both!
    But then I'm a fan of Flogging Molly and the Dropkick Murphys so my musical taste may be questionable

    ReplyDelete