Saturday, January 19, 2019

Sarissa Precision 28mm MDF Buildings


For the first post from me this week I have two 28mm buildings, MDF kits from Sarissa.  I have a number of the Sarissa kits and I'm very happy with them.  They go together nicely (other than the odd user error), look the part and paint up nicely.  A pleasant evening building these and another pleasant evening painting them up.
I didn't show it, but the roof lifts off and there is a removable upper floor.

First up is a farmhouse from their English Timber Framed range.  I figure that similar buildings existed in Hesse and Westphalia in the mid 18th century.  I built the kit straight out of the box, as there was enough detail that no add on bits were required, the only change I made was to add black yardstick behind the windows to hide what lies within. 
I do like the  details like the brick work.

I hemmed and hawed on priming, and went unprimed in the end which I think was the right choice.  The details are lightly etched and I didn't want to fill them in with primer (I can have a heavy hand with the spray bomb).  Paint wise I found that a light touch and various degrees of thinning with water did the trick.  It's all one coat, except for a wash over the brickwork, and only four colours - red oxide, unbleached titanium, carbon black and raw umber.   
This is a very tall piece but can be dissembled for storage or transport.  The blades come off, and the building lifts off the pedestal (and swivels on this).  The main structure has two stories plus a roof that lifts off.

Next up is the post windmill, which seem to have appeared all over Western Europe in the black powder years.  IIIRC, having a windmill in your village tended to put you on the map back in the day.  Ligny and Valmy had prominent windmills on the battlefields.  This kit was actually built last spring (it appears in my challenge 8 wind up photo), but it took me until now to get the bottle up to paint it.  I used only three colours for the actual windmill - raw umber and carbon black, with only a touch of unbleached titanium to lighten the woodwork on doors etc.  
The base has stayed in the same place but I rotated the windmill.  I like the stairway and the crane.

Point wise, i used the rough dimensions on Sarissa's site, converted mm to medieval king's body parts and came up with figures that the farmhouse is 49% of a 6" cube and the windmill is 46% of the same cube. if the minion's feeling generous he can round this to 20 points for a full cube, if not then it'll be 19 points.

These will be used for Black Powder wargaming (and yes Ray unlike yours my figures actually appears on table).  We didn't define whether terrain counts for the BP side duel, so I'll ask for my fellow duellists call on that one.  Not that it'll matter as both Ray and Alex have paint bombed me into submission this week.

6 comments:

  1. Nice terrain pieces, Peter. The windmill is particularly impressive! A center piece for a battlefield in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Dean. I think the mill will be a feature on many battlefields

      Delete
  2. I suggest round to 18, 'cause that's the way I roll....

    I really like the design style of the Sarissa Precision Kits and have built two 15mm structures and would like to get more.

    I am proud of you for doing the cubic math in deterring size - 216 cubic inches is the mark!

    We're really geeks aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miles, I’ve had good results with my Sarissa kits. And yes 216 cubic inches!

      Delete
  3. Great work. I'm working on some Sarissa myself and I have been eyeing the Windmill. Nice to see it made up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. I've been very pleased with the Sarissa kits - there will be more of them appearing here shortly. The windmill is very well designed and goes together nicely

      Delete