Friday, September 21, 2018

Volontaires de l'armée Completed





It continues to be a bit of a slow slog on the painting desk, but there is progress and I finally got these guys finished this week.  Hopefully, life will return to the normal level of chaos and I can get some more painting time in over the next month.


In my earlier post I described how Volontaires de l'Armee were ad hoc units formed on campaign from regular infantry regiments and used as light infantry.  More details on these units can be at Kronoskaf.  I've used Front Rank French Regulars from their FIW range, as I think the stripped down uniform works well for these units, plus it gives them a distinctive look compared to formed battalions.  These guys have taken off their coats, showing their sleeved waistcoats.  Some hats have been replaced with forage caps or bandages, and they have added a hatchet to their kit. 



I quite like these FR figures, and there's a lot more variety of poses in their FIW range compared to the SYW range.  They painted up nicely and I'm pretty happy with the results. They will do well for Kliene Krieg actions with Sharp Pracice or larger actions using BP/HoW.  Now I just need to find those skirmish sabots I got from Warbases earlier this year...I know I put them away carefully.



15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Ross. I think they'll fit the bill and loot the locals!

      Delete
  2. Turning to the FIW line to fill this role: brilliant! Lovely looking lot, the mounting is particularly nice. Always good to have figs that you can use for multiple systems, too!
    You'll have to make sure to point these fellows out in a larger battle report should they play a role!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed, the figures seemed a good fit. The red should stand out on table, which is why i didn't go with a regiment with blue or white waistcoats. I owe a lot of my basing techniques to Curt over at http://analogue-hobbies.blogspot.com. I took his advice and pointers, dumped them down to my level and found something that seems to work well.
      Cheers, Peter

      Delete
  3. Lovely work on these chaps and the basing is splendid!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Curt! I'd like to get these SYW guys on table this fall.
      Cheers, Peter

      Delete
  5. A superb looking unit and perfect for Sharp Practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers and thanks very much. That's high praise coming from the Silver Whistle!

      Delete