Friday, May 20, 2016

Book Tour and Signing


The past week my better half and I did one of our infrequent fliers up the road to Saskatoon (a 2.5 hour drive each way).  Unlike our typical "god we need to get out of town" trips, this one came with a specific purpose.  One of our favourite authors Guy Gabriel Kay was at our favourite bookstore  for a reading and signing.

Kay is a Canadian fantasy writer who writes very very good books set in alternate worlds that close follow our own histories.  This are not slash and f*ck novels, but wonderful thought provoking books that are also great reads.  And yes there is some S&Fing in the process and tons of inspiration for any historical gamer.  The Lions of Al-Rassan (go read this book for El-Cid inspiration, it got me hooked!) for instance parallels el-Cid and Al Andalusia, Under Heaven mirrors Tang dynasty China etc.  His latest is Children of Earth and Sky is in a  Renaissance Venetian Empire themed setting.  It was published on May 10th, and Kay was doing his signing in Saskatoon two days later.  In a case of serendipity, I had a meeting set for the afternoon of 12th, but this was cancelled freeing me to take the day and to do the junket.

Kay was a very funny and interesting speaker and we now have a signed copy of his brand new book.  I am looking forward to reading it once my wife finishes it.

6 comments:

  1. A trip well worth taking - I shall give Mr Kay's books a try. I assume he uses small words so an American like me can follow along. I am looking forward to that changing once we "make limited vocabularies great again!"
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is rather literary Miles, but I think you can handle the challenge! I am sure things will be much better under the Emperor Trump. I did read one BBC article that commented that Hilary had a problem in focusing on issues, which were beyond the attention span of you electorate...
      Of course ou PM goes into corners in the House of Commons with his elbows high!
      Peter

      Delete
  2. I am a Huge fan of Guy Kay, I got to meet him about 10 years ago and it was well worth it. I haven't gotten Children of Earth and Sky yet but I will soon. Lions of Al-Rassan is one of my favorite books and I have built two dark age warbands using names I stole form Last Light of the Sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've barely resisted Tang Chinese based on his books. I'm too dear down the queue to have read his latest yet, just drooled on the map and giver blurbs
      Peter

      Delete
  3. Sounds intriguing, something to definitely add to the list.

    ReplyDelete