Saturday, January 3, 2015

Painting Challenge - Moorish Horse Archers



OK no regular posts for 3 weeks and now two in one day – but it took me til the 26th until I could get painting.  I have completed a unit of 8 Moorish Horse Archers in 28mm to add to my El Cid hordes.  I think that this gives me 80 points towards my very far distant goal….


The figures are hard plastic and produced by Hät, who mostly do a wide range of 20mm figures.  I picked up 3 boxes of 12 figures each on my last business trip through Vancouver in June at Imperial Hobbies, which is a well-stocked store and is conveniently located when traveling by Skytrain to the airport. 


These were the first Hät figures that I have painted, and they in the end produced reasonable results (to my eyes anyway).   The detail is not a clean as found on metals, but the plastic is neither bendy like Airfix nor brittle.  They are also a little lighter in build than metals, but that doesn’t hurt for a LC unit.   In particular the horses are very nice and have the look of fine boned Arabians.   I painted them in my artist acrylics with generous washes. 



The shields and flag are free handed, because that’s how I do them.   I may redo the flag later but I am mostly happy with my results.  I’ll toss my thoughts into the forum on free hand vs. bought flags and shields.  Which is I see no point in paying good money for products that are more frustrating and time consuming than DIY, especially as the results never seem to be worth the bother, cost and time.   Yes I am an old fashioned curmudgeon but my first ancients army was Hoplite Greeks and I handled that so can handle anything else.  As for flags, free handing ancient banners is quick and for Horse’n’Musket I get them free from Warflag, or in some cases DIY on the MacBook.  So if you are buying flags and shield designs, you need to grow a pair and get on with doing it the real way!


4 comments:

  1. Very color group of irregular cavalry. They should be very effective on the battlefield too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bags of character and colour - bravo Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dean and Michael
    I waver between muted and bold tones and patterned and plain tunics. These guys were definitely from a bold and solid period, but I think they look good and pass the 2 foot rule.
    Cheers, PD

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great, love the colors!

    ReplyDelete