Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Recent El Cid Game


A few weeks back we played a game of Hail Caesar at Casa Campbell, using my El Cid armies.  I got the pics last night from Curt so I thought I'd post them.  I am having an academic moment regarding how the game played out and a few details escape me (like who won!).

However  IIRC, the following fuzzy details emerge

  • We used the crossing point scenario from C S Grants "Programmed Wargame Scenarios"


  • Sylvain had the Andalusians and was defending the crossing while Stacy had the Christian Spanish attackers.  I acted as GM assisted by Curt - who was suffering from post traumatic Painting Challenge disorder (and likely caffeine withdrawal given that Sarah was out of town and he apparently can't make coffee on his own).
  • The defenders have a few troops on table and the rest arrive throughout the game.  For all the scenarios in this book, the size, nature, deployment and arrival times are all randomly determined.  In this case Sylvain had 1 infantry unit, some crossbows and Maybe a cavalry unit on table.  The dice ruled that they were all on his own side of the bridge (they could have been on the far side or split between the two).
  • It was a near run thing on the bridge, but damned if I can remember what happened once Stacey got to the other side.
The first set of photos follow.  The troops are mine, the table and marker are Curt's.  Curt took the photos - which is why they turned out legibly.

Initial Andalusian deployment



Christian light cavalry coming thru the rye.

Christian militia cavalry charge over the bridge.

Apparently they moved so fast that their hooves didn't touch the roadbed of the bridge.

TheSpanish cavalry division charges while the infantry slogs along in the rear.

Cavalry traffic jam

Light cavalry trade shots with the mercenary crossbowmen - note Curt's gory casualty marker.

Slow progress by the PBI - slingers in the lead followed by Ballesteros (the xbows not the golfer).



8 comments:

  1. Hello Peter:

    Your El Cid figures look terrific on the table.

    "It was a near run thing on the bridge, but damned if I can remember what happened once Stacey got to the other side." - LOL. Probably a good thing you're in the acturial program at U0fR and not in History!
    I do like those gory markers Curt has - creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike

      Thanks. As for the faulty memory - I liken it to historical precedent where medieval chroniclers give incomplete stories. Also it's the last week of term and I give two finals next week. Hopefully my brain will return in a week or two.

      Cheers
      PD

      Delete
    2. I only remember things looking quite good for Stacy's Christians as he stormed across the bridge and then things started to unravel, or perhaps that was my memory aided by the much imbibed 'Wargaming Wine (Whine)'. Nonetheless, I DO remember it was fun and it was great to see loads of toy soldiers being moved around the table - so really it's all good.

      Delete
    3. That's what i am remembering too. Age, Whine, time ... all are dulling the memory.

      Cheers
      PD

      Delete
  2. Win, lose, as long as every one went away happy! The figures still look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far all anyone can remember is a good game - I guess that's all that really matters,

      Cheers
      PD

      Delete
  3. Hi Peter,

    Every time I see armies for this period I get that'I need to buy some of these as a matter of urgency' feeling. They look fantastic and as I write the soundtrack to El Cid is going through my mind....;-)

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The period has a lot of flavour and lots of room for scenario ideas...plus with histories sketchy, you can basically DIY the plot and no one will know!

      Cheers
      PD

      Delete