Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Civilians for the Kleine Krieg


I had these figures painted up weeks so (they featured in my last SP game) figured they better make it on the blog while I remembered them!  This is a set of 8 civilian types to act as encounters, tasks or scenic items as required in my SYW skirmish games using Sharp Practice.



We have four members of the noble or wealthy middle class, one gent a younger lady, an older lady and a young lad playing soldier with a toy musket.  There are also four members of the working classes, a fairly well dressed fellow with a barrel, a labourer with a sack of grain, a female servant with a platter of food and a young lad who is scampering like he's just played ring and run!

All but one of these figures comes from the Perrys AWI range (have I mentioned how much I love these figures recently).  The style of dress maybe 20 years late for the SYW, but my research on Pinterest show that there was enough overlap that they work as well for c1760 as they do for c1780.  The V&A is a wonderful source of info on civilian dress in historical times FYI.  Having just checked my own link I've noticed I am missing a female servant with a broom who is painted but escaped my attention this morning.  I'll check with Fischer's Chasseurs as being likely culprits.


Here's the adult well to dos.  The odd figure who is not from the Perrys is the older lady in red, who participants in Curt's Painting Challenge may recognize.  She is a specialty figure of Maria Theresa from Westfalia miniatures and Kawe produced her as a limit run give away or the participants in one of the most recent challenges.   I carved away the orb and sceptre that the figure carries and I figure that she works exceeding well as a strong willed noble women of a certain age (think Bertie Wooster's aunts).  She is by the way a lovely figure and I wish Westfalia did more mid-18thC types.

V&A pictures show that many fine clothes of the age would be cut from pattern cloths (typical florals) but I opted for solids as I didn't want the fuss of getting the impression of a floral print right.  The colour that I use are based on real life clothes from the mid 18th century and the prints used were often subtle enough that they blend into solids from a reasonable distance.

Here are the lower social orders plus the young noble lad with his musket.  Not the best photo  am afraid but so be it.  The two figures on the right are sculpted as African Americans to represent slaves in the Southern AWI campaigns but I painted them as Caucasians to suit my theatre of war.  I quite like the fellow with the barrel who might easily be a brewer, publican or wine merchant.


13 comments:

  1. These look really, really nice! Good choice of colors and treatment of the bases too.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Stokes. I am quite pleased with them.
      Perer

      Delete
  2. Absolutely splendid work Peter and I love what you've done with Maria Theresa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I was really happy to be able to use the MT figure.
      Peter

      Delete
  3. Great work Pete! I liked the role they played in your last SP scenario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, I was quite pleased to get MT on table.
      Peter

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking civilians, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I just poked my nose over to your blog. Lovely looking work there.
      Peter

      Delete