During last weekends naval game, I found the the rules worked fine, the game aids I had used did not. So lessons learned:
- Tape measures and rulers. I pulled an unintended fast one on my players and went with the half scaled version of GQ, 1cm=2000 yds versus the normal 1cm=1000 yds. I don't think any one moved twice as fast as they should have , but it would be easier and cleaner to have scaled rulers. Luckily these are available as PDFs from GQ and I've printed off a set of 12 on cardstock.
- Turn gauges. I used the original scale turn gauges instead of the correct scaled one. The rulers from GQ include a cm=200 turn gauge, so that's what I'll used next time round.
- Ship Cards. This is where I really messed up. I tried to make some spiffy reusable ship cards using the Deluxe ship stats from GQ, a photo of the ship, file cards and those plastic sleeves that game stores sell for card games. However, the combination of the size of card I chose, the printing and the cut and pasting from the GQ document to the card file resulted in Cards that looked great at first glance but only semi-readable. I'm back to the mouse pad on this one. I think I'll go back to Angus K's site to admire his cards.
- Markers. The sticky tab arrows I brought for torpedoes worked very well I thought. Same for the plastic hit and fire makers provided by Curt (he of no childers and thus bigger war-games budget), but I'll stick to the homemade (and cheaper) versions.