Sunday, March 25, 2012

Spring Plans

Ok, the signs are all there.  The snow is almost all gone, there are Robins in the back yard and snow geese on Wascana, I am thinking about what final exam questions to use, I am contemplating getting on my bike.  Yep it must be spring.  And that means the time of the year (given 4 months with no classes to teach) when I can stop dreaming and start playing.


So here goes, with this year's list of gaming/hobby objectives

  1. Clear up the basement so that I can set up a wargames table.  I almost had this last year and then the basement wall issues arose.  Since half of South Regina had similar problems it took until late August to get this finished and then I was right into fall term and organizing an orchestra trip to Banff.  The good news is that I can get 100% spousal approval for clearing up the basement!
  2. Make it to the monthly games nights and run a few miniatures games.  Also on the list last year, but the damn events are scheduled on the last weekend of the month which tends to be the weekend where most work/family events are planned.  This will take more planning on my part plus firm (and publically announced) committments to run a game (making them harder to weasel out of).
  3. Use my 1:2400 WWII and/or 1:3000 WWI Naval ships.  The latter are old and battle tested, but the WWII were purchased in 2011 and there's enough to o a decent game.
  4. Play some table top teaser (TTT) type games.  There's been enough blogger trails on the TTTs to get me well and truly hooked.  So time to get off the duff and set to.  The one problem is that these cry out for classic European Horse'n'Musket armies in 25mm or larger and I don't have any currently (I sold my last 15mm H'n'Ms last year to buy the WWII navals).   I'll have to go through the armies and spares boxes to see what I can dig out.
  5. Finish off the FIW figures.  I need a few odds and ends to round out some units and I'm pretty  much good to go.   I may also look at expanding into SYW Europe by adding cavalry and European light troops, but figure buying is low on the budgeting priorities this year!
  6. Complete more Peninsula War plastics.  All infantry so far, but cavalry and Brit artillery exist.
  7. Do up some good terrain pieces.  High on the list are hills (my pink foam ones need some TLC, rivers (I have a nice rubber one that's gone AWOL), and a fortress (to as to use the new table saw and TSUV).
  8. Re-visit the Span-Am war!  




Well that's enough for now.  We'll see how many of these play out before the Fall term starts in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment