Saturday, December 28, 2013
War of 1812 Trojan Greens
I signed up for Curt's 4th Painting Challenge, but was much later off the starting line than many others. I plead an acute case of real life - 120 Stats papers, 30 Financial mathematics papers, swapping the furniture between two bedrooms in our house and the return of our daughter after a storm delayed flight home from University. I swear that Curt sets the timing up to put me at a maximum disadvantage - really Curt I have both Final exams and Christmas to deal with.
Anyway, this year I've decided to keep my submissions to bite sized morsels rather than full meals. First up are these 8 members of the Trojan Greens, a War of 1812 Militia unit from upstate New York. Figures are kit bashed from the Perry 28mm plastic dismounted French Dragoons. Construction wise I quite like the Perry plastics, but I am rather ham-fisted in my approach.
In this case, the major bashing involved trimming the boot detail off of the rank and filers to represent trousers. I left the officer in boots and breaches as this seems to be a unit composed of uppity upstate mucky-mucks, and I figured that the officers would be trumped up Johnnies who would dress like gentry. Otherwise, I swapped in arms from the mounted figures for the trumpeter and officer. I left them with the cavalry belts and cartage box, I'm sure a button counter will tell me that's not accurate but it works.
I don't have a lot of info about the unit - they were rifled armed and from the Albany area. They appear to have served along the St. Lawrence frontier and I believe that they were one of the volunteer units that existed pre-war - with the members providing their own uniforms and drilling on their own time. I found a uniform plate here, and references here about an existing officer's coat. The black belts on black facing and plastron always blurs details but I think that the yellow lace shows the difference well enough for my purposes. I am not 100% happy with my lace work, but decided it was close enough and experience has told me that fussing about with yellow on black just makes things worse. There is a similar black on black effect with the helmets and crests, but I find that a wash effect on the horse hair shows a difference in texture to get the effect reasonably.