Thursday, September 12, 2024

Visit to the UK Summer 2024




I am late on posting this of course, but my wife and I traveled to England for a couple weeks in July and August.  It was family centred visit, for a family week at a Caravan site on the Isle of Wight.  This is essentially the UK equivalent of renting a cabin at the lake for the week, but for us involved long flights and expensive airfare.  Three were 20 off family members there at the peak, and we were glad that we went as it will almost certainly be the last of the annual caravan vacations (we ended to go every second year our so due to cost and other plans etc).

On the whole a great visit but it was a short due to the heat of a strike by my faculty union (resolved just before we left).  My wife came down with COVID while on the Isle but I waited til we had been back home for two days before getting it.  On the whole a lot better than our trip two years ago, which involved me upchucking all over a Waterstone's bookstore, spending the night in Casualty, missing our flight and having to rebook and then fighting an insurance company for months to get reimbursed.

We spent a few days in London either side of our caravan trip.  Highlights included poking around, a visit to the London Transport Museum and seeing Hello Dolly with Imelda Staunton (Delores Umbridge from Harry Potter).  It's a great musical and well recommended.

It being the UK you can't go anywhere without running into history so I'll post some shots of some sites of wargaming interest in the next few days.








No comments:

Post a Comment