Monday, July 22, 2024

AAR Seven Years War With Maurice

Last month at Curt’s request I ran a test game of Maurice using my SYW collection.  We had the French attacking the Anglo Allied army defending a hill, based on Scenario1 from Grants Programmed a wargame Scenarios.  It was a long affair ending after midnight in a narrow French victory.  Photos are in no particular order.


The French close on the allies.  There is a series of hills on the right.


Advance!

The expected Sylvain flanking manoeuvre 

Stacy advances the French lights on his left.  I needed to amortize my windmill investment 

Sylvain makes plans for an Anglo Allied counterattack 

French command and traffic control 

Early on, Stacy advances the French light troops.


Maurice has a number of innovative ideas, many of which I quite liked.  Overall, they won’t be the go to SYW rules.  They weren’t Toy Soldierish enough and some commands spent a lot of  sitting while other commands were activated.  I think with more games we’d get the hang of getting all the cylinders to fire in sequence but it might be too much work for a Friday night.  Still, worth a look for diseases and flavour.
 

6 comments:

  1. Good looking game, Peter! Maurice is a game I have only had on the table one or two times and that was many years ago. I might be tempted to give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. It’s kinda an acquired taste but worth a go. The cards add a lot of uncertainty and period flavour

      Delete
  2. Great to see all that hard work out on the tabletop, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray! I think it was first game for some units.

      Delete
  3. Great looking game, nice to see all the figures on the table!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete