Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Last Challenge Entry - Keith's Highlanders SYW

I wasn't sure if I would get these guys finished in time but here we go.  I am going out the same way that I came into this year's challenge by finishing off my unit of SYW Highlanders.


There are 8 privates, a drummer, a Grenadier officer and two sergeants as standard bearers.  As always they are from the Perry Miniatures AWI range, which I highly recommend.  The flags are available as downloads for free from the excellent Warflags site. The Perry's don't include flag staffs with their Horse and Musket era figures, but I scarfed two from one of their Renaissance Command packs since they do get staffs (go figure).



As with my Hessian Militia, I have based these in twos - one file of two ranks.  I hit on this due to a running out of my regular rectangular bases, which take a square of 4 figures.  So with my normal mix of cheapness, laziness and impatience I McGyvered a solution and quite like the end result.



I came into this Challenge wanting to get a Sharp Practice force for my SYW project in the Western German Kleine Krieg.  There were two main units that I had planned, British Light Dragoons and Keith's Highlander's.  And now both have been finished along with a variety of support options and a couple of units for their French opposition.


Again just to prove that I am not recycling figures, here's the full collection of His Majesty's 87th Foot - Keith's Highlanders.  Three groups of 8 privates, three officers, two musicians and two standard bearers - 31 figures all in.


This leaves me 40 odd points short of my 800 point target, but I am pretty happy with my output.  I would have made the target if not for a family funeral on the other side of the country or a serious cold this weekend.  

Thanks again to Curt, for running this Gong Show and DavidB my Thursday Minion.  And good work to my fellow Challengers, this has been the best year yet.

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations for making it to the end of the Challenge with goals reached! Seems only a few days ago we were browsing your FIRST Challenge Highlander entry. How time flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathon. It has been three months but it did go fast.

      Delete
  2. What a great way to finish Peter, you have certainly had a cracking challenge this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Michael. I really enjoyed your output this year too.

      Delete
  3. They look great, wonderful figures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice Highlanders, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated thanks to Phann and Dean. I just found your comments in the pending file on blogger.

    ReplyDelete