Saturday, September 22, 2012

Movie Night Out


My wife and I had a real old school movie night last night, as we drove the 75kms down the road to take in Vertigo as part of the Hitchock festival at the Moose Jaw Cultural Centre.  It was held in an old style movie theatre that's been taken over to be the local all purpose theatre.  This gave us a real old time feel (gorgeous ceilings, very comfy seats, steeply sloped floor and a balcony.


The film itself is considered not only one of Hitch's best, one of the best ever.  In fact just in 2012, Sight and Sound 's critics poll named it #1 of all time.  Personally I waffle between Rear Window and North by Northwest as being #1, but could blather on in my typical enthusiastic yet uneducated way.  For me Vertigo has it all - creepy psychological plot involving deception and obsession, gorgeous 1950s colour, a regular guy caught up in something way over his head, an unobtainable blond....

Ms. Novak drops in for coffee at Mr. Stewart's


4 comments:

  1. The entire experience sounds really cool! We are very lucky to have a restored art cinema here that was restored to the way it looked in 1937. It really helps to make movie-going a true experience. As for Hitchcock films, I agree with your choices, and I would add I Confess (1953) with Montgomery Clift to the list.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stokes
    The one thing missing was that we couldn't bring food or drink into the theatre. However, it's a volunteer community arts group running the place and I got it. I of course bow to your superior knowledge base. I'm not sure if I've seen I Confess from start to finish, but liked what I saw. I should have also added Notorious with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bermann and the KISS.

    Cheers
    PD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim Novak was/is just stunning... for me though North by Northwest just because of the Cary Grant/Eva Marie Saint combination..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree on both counts. I really like the dialogue in these films.

      Cheers

      PD

      Delete