Friday, January 19, 2024

AHPC XIV Post 4 Shore Batteries

 Only a teeny tiny post from me this week, although there's lots on the go on the workbench. After a good start, painting slowed a bit due to weather (see the screen shot below) and first week of uni classes.  Specifically my work load went up from 2 classes with 18 students to 3 classes with 168 students.  My normal load is two classes, but we were asked to pick up classes  for a couple of weeks to cover for a colleague with medical issues.  There was a first year calculus class in one of my open slots and I had just taught the same class in the Fall so had everything tooled up.  Anyway by Wednesday I was assigned the class for the entire semester...Oh well I enjoyed the class in the Fall and as my wife says, I run better in the Winter Semester if I'm kept busy.


I've had to go outside every day this week and there's nothing like this weather to sap your energy.


These are 3D prints from War Time Journal kindly printed off by the Snowlord.  A communications glitch led to Curt printing these in 1:1250 while my ships are 1:2400, but I think that they work well in full scale.

I added my cutting mat to show the size of these.

I have a couple of shore batteries in 1:1250 scale for Local History.  A quick check of your globe will tell you that there's no need for shore batteries in my current location of Regina, SK. However, home for me is always Halifax Ns which being a major naval port since 1759 has several.  These remind me of York Redoubt which covers the narrow entrance to a very big harbour.  I played on the 9" Rifled Muzzle Loaders as a kid (it was the 60s, boomer kids were expendable), walked my dog there in Uni, took young ladies for picnics and sailed past these guns in my day sailer.


Entrance to Halifax Harbour

York Redoubt was originally built in 1793 and then expanded in 1798 by the Duke of Kent, best known in most circles as Queen Victoria's father and in Halifax as the guy who liked round buildings.  With changing technology it was rebuilt in the 1870s and armed with 9" and 10" rifled muzzle loaders. In 1891 pair of 6pdr quick firers and a searchlight was added on the shoreline to fend off torpedo boats.  In WW2 this was one end of an anti-U boat net guarded by more modern 6pdrs. 


9" RML

This one nicely shows the commanding view from the guns.  The French and Americans better stay clear.

Finally, I thought I'd share a few shots from an AAR using some of the Spanish American War models I've done up this Challenge including these ones.






Even a single point is generous for these two, but I'll claim the 20 points for the Library category. Here's my updated trip through the Library.




No comments:

Post a Comment