Monday, March 21, 2022

AHPC Sub Roman British for Noel's Comet

 My students and family can tell you that I could give Noel a run for his money on verbosity, but hopefully I keep this within everyone attention span.

Love the Sutton Hoo helmet and the Draco.

Back in September 1980 I started University and a new FLGS opened up in Halifax, in a location that was at least not too far off my walk home.  The FLGS turned out to be run by Ross McFarland of the Battle Game of the Month blog, With MacDuff to the Frontier rules and servant to the world's most superior looking wargaming cat. Ross' store was short lived, my university career lasted 5 years as a student and 20 years as an instructor (with a 15 plus year interlude in between) and we still keep in touch.  We have gamed in the past on my visits back to Nova Scotia, and were hoping to do so again at Christmas, but Omicron put the boots to that idea.  We should try a Zoom game.

The chap on the left is from a Pictish command pack but fits in with the unit.


One of Ross' projects at the time was Late Roman/Sub Roman Britain, a project which I've returned to in my recent Beowulf gaming.  I have another 6 figures from a Sub-Roman rulers comitatus.  These are Gripping Beast 28mm figures and most are from their Arthurian range.  Some of the facial details has gone soft, but it's kinda like painting old minifigs which is pleasant nostalgia in its own right.  As is my way I freehanded some noble headed shields and bodged together a flag using Celtic clip art and MS Word.  


I'm quite happy with the cloaks.  I think that the Pictish fellow is supposed to have a mail coif but it works as ringlets.

In digging through the family photos recently, I found some pictures from a Convention game that Ross ran at Dalhousie in 1987 or 1988, which I am sharing below.

Ross resolving combat on the Pratzen.  The vibrant cloth is still in my basement.  I remember that it was fall when I bought it and the salesgirl at Fabricland asked if I was going as a Frog for Halloween.


This was an Austerlitz scenario featuring Soult's assault on the Pratzen and the defence of the Goldbach (40K players will need to google this).  It was fought using Ross' home-brew rules, 15mm figures and at a 1:40ish scale with individual casualties.   The next year I ran a Jutland scenario using my home brew rules and 1/3000 scale Navwar ships. Ken Reilly you're not the only one who can run crazy big games. 

Struggle for the Goldbach crossings.  We achieved an impressively historical log jam.  Those are my white and green coated Italians masquerading as French on the defence and my Russian infrantry.  


Ross and I were chatting about this game via his blog comments recently.  He gave the French commands to the most experienced players (I was Marshall Soult) and the Allied commands were given to newbies who didn't know the history.  The Allied column commanders were told to follow written orders based on the actual orders of the day.  As a way to simulate historical fog of war and command confusion it worked the charm.  Ross reminded me that the problem was that the newbies figured they'd been set up as sacrificial offerings and some of them left the game in huff.  I had not recalled that aspect, but then again it was 35 years ago and I was rather busy directing St Hilaire and Vandamme.


I still think that it was a great achievement and I have fond memories of those big games are played with small figures in the 80s, as well as the small games that we played with big figures (54mms) in the 90s and 2000s.

Points wise that 6 28mm figures for 30 points and I hope the yarn ents me another 20 for Noel's Comet.

2 comments:

  1. Cue music: "Those .... were... the... days my friend, we thought they'd never end..." etc

    David's cardboard houses now reside with Les, some of the 15's live in the valley and I get to play with them now and again, the rest have spread their wings and flown off via ebay air a decade ago. Those were good days indeed!

    (and that's without mentioning Pyrrhus or the Spartans! )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sold off my French a while ago. Still have my 15mm buildings and (I think) the Russians. Pyrrhus and the Spartans are still here and have seen the table top in the last decade.

      Delete