Monday, May 25, 2020

Action off the Galloper Sands 1666

It's been 6 weeks since I've posted, but I've been up to a fair amount in my own private isolation chamber!  April was filled with end of semester and exams, with Zoom lectures  taking far more time than normal.  Ditto for doing individual final exams for every student.  There has been some painting appearing on the Quaratine Challenge and I'll try to catch up on these posts in the next week or so.

This weekend I got the chance to do a solo playtest of Barry Hilton's 17th century naval rules.  I ran through 10 turns using 4 ships squadrons from my Dutch and English fleets (1/2400 scale Tumbling Dice minis)

The Dutch Zeven Provinciën (80), Speigel (70), Geloof (60), Noordeerkwartier (60)

The English Royal Charles (86), Royal Oak (80), Monck (58), Ruby (48)
The flagships had veteran crews with all other crews being veterans.  The three biggest English ships have heavy guns.

The two squadrons started on equal footing close hauled.  After three turns, the speedier Dutch are pulling ahead of the English. 

The dutch have clearly won the race and are in danger of crossing the English "T".

Turn 4:  the English have the initiative and bear off the wind to bring their broadsides to bear.

Turn 5 the Dutch turn to steer parallel but on opposite courses.  Anglo Dutch Wars battles feature repeated "passes" on opposite courses.  
I'll finish up the AAR later, but can make some initial comments on the draft rules.

  • This was a fun little game
  • They played well, were fast to pick up and things were relatively straightforward.
  • They seem to give a reasonable result of the period and ships.
  • Barry's QRS wasn't readable on my iPad but I didn't really need one!
  • I was using d6, d8, d10 and d12.  It would help greatly to have dedicated colours for each type of dice.  
  • I need to iron my sea matt!  It's exterior grade vinyl upholstery so this will take research and checking with the wife on correct techniques and iron temperatures.

12 comments:

  1. Good looking ships, and looking forward to the conclusion.
    I am well used to using polyhedral dice from all of my Piquet/Field of Battle games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gonsalvo. I managed to get my d8s all the same colour and found this a big help.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to hearing the guns roar Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting report...I'll have to break into the Anglo Dutch wars too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim, There’s naval wars that you don’t have ships for?

      Delete
  4. Beautiful ships and a fun looking game - well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind of you to say Miles. The ships looks good on table but I definitely apply the three foot rule. The scenario was just cobbled together based on what I had to give the rules a try

      Delete
  5. Good to hear from you Peter and I can testify to online teaching taking more time than we planned. Great to get to a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Michael. Good luck getting through the rest of your term.

      Delete
  6. Nice looking game Peter, I have painted quite a few of the TD Napoleonic ships and they are great little models.

    ReplyDelete