Saturday, January 18, 2020

Cruel Seas Freighter


I've completed an outstanding debt to the Snowlord by painting up this freighter for his Cruel Seas fleets.  Last Challenge Curt traded me two buildings by challenger Byron's Nothern Lights company in exchange for me painting up some Cruel Seas ships, this one and a freighter to be named later.  I finished one of the buildings last year, with the other about 75% done at the end of the last challenge and still 75% done.

On to my debt...I could have counted this as either a Curtgeld or a submission under O'Grady's Gulch but decided this would be too weaselly even for me, given that it was a pre-existing condition debt. 

The details of the model are sketchy but what I have is listed below.

  • Manufacturer - extruded by Curt using a 3D printer in a vibrant oobleck green (I wish I'd taken a photo)
  • Designer - Feck knows, it came from some dark recesses of the interweb, or equally dark recesses of Curt's brain
  • Scale -Feck knows, Cruel Seas is nominally 1/300 but I'm not sure how Curt scaled it.
  • Points value - Feck knows,  I throw myself on the mercy of the Great and All-Powerful Minion du Jour.  It's about 6" long, could count as scenery or a vehicle and is most likely 1/300 scale.

Anyway it's a nice little ship and painted up easily.   I kept is very simple because historical a coastal freighter in wartime would be very dull and grey and because the standouts on table should be the S-boots and MGBs etc.  I gave it a utilitarian grey overall, adding white for the lifeboats for a bit of contrast.  I added weathering with washes of various colours.

In the Saint Margaret's Bay area of Nova Scotia (where I'm from) it's traditional to name one's fishing boat after one's two youngest children. As far as I know Curt is an evolutionary dead end without offspring, so I've named this after his furry children MV Felix & Oscar, a name that works either side of the channel and substituting a "k" in Oscar works in the Low Countries and coastal Germany as well.




2 comments:

  1. Nicely done Peter, always good to clear one's debts! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. More reducing debt than clearing, but agreed.

      Delete