Monday, November 4, 2019

Dutch Delights? A New Project



It’s been quiet on the blog over the last few months, because life has been busy other wise.  My daughter shifted Unis  across Canada, with most of August spent shipping her back to Halifax and most of September spent recovering from that while diving into the fall term.  October saw me on the road four times, Montreal, Banff, Prince Albert and Toronto.

There’s been gaming with the regular group including a WW2 naval and some General d’Armee and board games and much planning for the upcoming challenge.  Book purchases and blog readings (Barry Hilton being a particular bad influence)  lead me to the Anglo Dutch naval wars.  So to that end I’ve gone and bought two squadrons from TumblingDice 1/2400 range.  More on this to follow.

In the meantime I've been having a go at gaming by email using Barry Hilton's collection.  You can read an AAR of my first action here.  He gave several blog followers a point list and asked us to come up with small squadrons.  Mine is based on the squadron De Ruyter took to Africa and the New World just before the start of the Second Dutch War.  In the first action I sailed into a British trading post and recovered two Dutch Indiamen held by those perfidious Brits.  Pictures filched from Barry's site below - they make great eye candy and I hope I can do half as well.

I was given a photo of the game board with some details on the Brits and gave Barry a set of orders.  It all worked out rather nicely I think.




6 comments:

  1. Good to hear that the hobby is still providing some much needed distraction. The ships look amazing Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are Barry’s ships, but I agree and hope that I can do mine half as well as his!
      Distraction is sadly not a thing that I lack.
      Cheers

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking ships, interesting period to play too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain! The background reading has really got me hooked.

      Delete
  3. I was scanning this and scratching my head wondering how you got these figures and this game off without us knowing about it, then I read the post and your comments. Something that we'll see in the coming Challenge I presume?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me if I had ships like these I’d have foisted them on you. But yes that’s on my Hallaenge to do list.

      Delete