Friday, January 2, 2015

Challenge Entry - Fred and Ginger plus 2 Bangers



I had a busy December so this is my first non-bonus round submission, and it’s figures that I actually had primed for last year’s challenge but didn’t proceed with any further.   


We have two Napoleonic 28mm siege cannon, a 12 pdr and an 18-24 pdr, both on fortress cannons.  They are made by Brigade models and match the similar pair that I did submit to last year’s challenge.  But honest they are different models (check the much chunkier rocks on the bases on tis year’s models).  They are very nice pieces; I will use them for War of 1812, FIW and SYW projects.  And yes the rocks are definitely over scale, and will be replaced with proper gravel in the form of model railway ballast when I get a pack.


Also we have two 28mm civilians from Reaper, a barman a working girl.  They cam in a multi-pack with figures that I used last year in the Challenge.  I’ve christened the barman Fred as he looks like a Fred, plus I remember an odious barman named Fred from Coronation Street in the 80s.  So Fred needs a Ginger, which fits for obvious reasons.  Michael A did a much better job on this particular figure for a bonus round last year, so hopefully everyone else forgot about that by now.



I think that these add up to 30 points (10 each for the weapons and 5 each for the foot figures).

6 comments:

  1. Well done you, at least you've managed to get a non bonus round entry in - still struggling here! I think your Ginger looks lovely Sir, if you know what I mean. Now regarding your Bangers, I have something similar that I hope to get done in the shape of a splendid Empress Miniatures Naval Brigade crew and gun from their NZW range. Is there a specific colour for the gun carriage or is it just raw wood, so to speak?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You best keep clear of Fred if you you pester Ginger, Mac. As for fortress carriages most illustrations that I see use a mid grey carriage, although on occasion I see a brown (burnt sienna or burnt umber) carriage. A really good source of info are historical sites based on Victorian Military sites. I grew up clambering over grey carriages at various Victorian forts in the Halifax area and I am sure that there are equivalents in your neck of the woods (Fort Victoria? above Portsmouth?). Or check over at Bob Cordery's site http://www.colonialwargaming.co.uk

      Cheers, PD

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that Peter, I can certainly remember clambering over grey painted carriages as a boy, but wondered if this was down to convenience rather than an official requirement. I also wondered if painting something that was aboard ship and exposed to the elements might prove shortsighted - I feel some research coming on, so thank you for the links.

      Delete
    3. Michael
      In the past, it could have been for ease. But I figure that these days the English Heritage gets its fair share of "Wargames Fashion Police" through its gates. An on site visit is likely the best and most enjoyable research treat the wife and kids to a pub lunch and bring your camera. Another source would be period prints by military artists.
      Cheers, PD

      Delete